Friday 10 January 2014

The Swarm Approaches

The new Tyranid codex is being released tomorrow and with that in mind I thought it would be a good idea to take stock of my own Tyranid swarm.

Now eagled eyed readers may have noticed updates to my battle log over the past couple of years despite posts having been sporadic (massive understatement I know). Go have a look now, just scroll to the bottom of the page...

What's that? It's not changed much? Well believe it or not I have updated it every time I played a game. And yes that's not a lot of games played, and yes that means I only played one game in 2013 and that was against my 13 year old nephew.


As pitiful as that is, that's not what I want to talk about today. What you've hopefully also noticed is a new category in the log...Tyranids!

You'll notice I played a couple of games with them in 2012, right around the time 6th edition was released. I started painting them a few months prior to this with that express intention of using them for the new edition. A few pictures of them from this time are dotted throughout this post, but expect a few more detailed posts to come about them in the future.

A couple of friends and I have recently been talking about getting back into gaming proper and from my perspective the impending release of a new codex is the perfect excuse. With that in mind I thought it might be fun to make a list of what I have, and what still needs to be painted.

I've also totalled up their points values under the current codex and will write a follow up post next week comparing their values under the new codex.

The list of completion:
Please excuse the poor pics, I've recently moved and have not been able to set up a decent area for photography yet

HQ
Hive Tyrant with Devourer and Scything Talons (Half painted)

Troops
6 Warriors with Scything Talons, 5 Deathspitters and 1 Barbed Strangler

18 Termagaunts

18 Hormagaunts

10 Genestealers

Heavy Support
1 Carnifex with twin Scything Talons

The list of shame:
HQ
3 Tyrant Guard
Tervigon With crushing claws

Elites
2 Zoanthropes

Troops
6 Warriors with Rending Claws and Devourers

20 Hormagaunts

20 Termagaunts with Devourers

13 Ripper Swarm bases

16 Genestealers with scything talons

23 Genestealers

Fast Attack
6 Ravenors with Rending Claws and Spine Fists

Heavy Support
Trygon Prime

Tyrannofex

Carnifex with Crushing Claws and Venom cannon

Carnifex with Crushing Claws and Scything Talons

Plus 8 Objective markers

And Some unassembled Extras

Troops
1 Broodlord

8 Termagaunts

8 Hormagaunts

8 Genestealers

So from a painted models point of view that's 54 models painted with 139 still to go!! To be fair there are 57 Genestealers in that list. I've painted 10 so far, but I can't really see myself needing another 47, so I can consider most of them a low priority.

From a points perspective here are the totals. I've not included any additional biomorphs, just what's included on the model:

Painted:

Unit                      QTY            Points
HQ                           1                 185
Troops                     4                  553
Heavy Support        1                  160
Total                       6                  898

Unpainted:

Unit                    QTY              Points
HQ                        
1                    365
Elite                       1                    120
Troops                   6                   1484
Fast Attack            1                     240
Heavy Support      4                     885
Total                    13                  3094

Grand Total        19                  3962

Again it's worth pointing out that nearly 700 points of this is unpainted Genestealers. Also the unit quantity with the troops is fairly malleable depending on how big you want to make the units but suffice to say, I have a lot of troops with roughly 10 units accounting for around 2000pts of the army.

So where do I go from here

I'm looking forward to seeing how this list shapes up once applied under the new codex. As much as I want to buy every new Tyranid going there's still so many older ones I want as well. However money is tight and I've already got so many models to paint. I want to say I wont buy another model until all of these are painted but we know that wont happen. I will pledge however to get a good chunk of them painted before buying any more.

As to what I'll paint first, I should get my Hive Tyrant finished first. After that I'm not sure, I'll wait until I can have a good read of the new codex before deciding.

Picture from my game against Paulb 2/7/12







1 comment:

  1. Great stuff, glad to see you are posting again. Get that photography area sorted and share some more pics of those incredible figures.

    ReplyDelete